Brussels City Guide
Brussels Travel Tips
- Buy a Brussels card for one, two, or three days, and you’ll get admission to several museums, access to public transit, and discounts at restaurants and stores.
- On weekends, hotel prices are generally lower (when the government-types leave town), making it the perfect time for a miniature getaway.
- Brussels is a safe city, but the types of petty crime common to urban areas do occur. In cases of emergency, dial 100 for the police and 101 for fire and ambulance services.
- Language and identity can be a divisive issue in Belgium at large; Brussels itself is primarily Francophone, but be prepared for proud Dutch speakers in the northern-most parts of the city.
Belgian Beer Vocabulary
- Lambic – dry, with a sour aftertaste. Ferments spontaneously when it comes in contact with airborne yeasts that are native to the region.
- Gueuze – a stronger version of lambic with champagne-like bubbles.
- Kriek – doubly-fermented beer brewed with cherries for added fruit flavor without much sweetness.
Top 5 Brussels Attractions