Rome City Guide
Rome Travel Tips
- Romans rarely wear shorts, even during deadly heat waves. Bring lightweight pants to blend in with the locals.
- Rome is one of the worst cities in Europe for petty theft—keep a tight grip on valuables, especially in crowded squares and bustling metro stops.
- Museums are crazy in high tourism season. Advance reservations are required for the Borghese Gallery, and they’ll allow you to bypass the lines at the Vatican Museum.
Top 5 Rome Attractions
Traditional Cuisine of Rome
- Spaghetti alla carbonara: pasta with pancetta, egg, and cheese
- Saltimbocca alla Romana: veal with prosciutto and sage
- Supplì: Fried croquettes of rice, beef, and tomato sauce
- Coda alla vaccinara: Hearty oxtail and vegetable stew
- Carciofi alla giudia: Jewish-style deep fried artichokes, popular during springtime