Vienna City Guide
Vienna Travel Tips
- Smoking is nearly impossible to avoid in Vienna, especially in restaurants. If you’re particularly sensitive, it’s worth asking if there is a non-smoking seating area
- The Vienna Card is a great buy at just 20 euros, offering 3 days of unlimited public transportation and good discounts at all of the city’s top attractions.
- In Vienna, you can see a world-class opera performance for just 5 euros, as long as you’re willing to forego the luxury of a seat. Stay for part of it, and leave at intermission without feeling any guilt.
Top 5 Vienna Attractions
- Vienna State Opera House
- Hofburg Palace
- Kunsthistorisches Museum
- Schönbrunn Palace
- St. Stephen’s Cathedral
Traditional Austrian Cuisine
- Sachertorte: two layers of rich chocolate cake with a layer of apricot jam between them
- Wiener schnitzel: breaded and fried veal or pork cutlet, sometimes the size of a dinner plate
- Gulasch: sometimes seen as “Wiener Saftgulasch” on menus, is the Austrian take on the Hungarian beef stew specialty.
- Apfelstrudel: delicious apple-filled pastry